Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Alchemist

So, I finally got around to reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I know this book has been pretty popular for a while and it's probably taken me a little too long to finally pick it up. When I first saw this book in my brother's room I thought it was some sci-fi Final Fantasy'ish kinda book. You can't really blame me... There was a character in that game who was an Alchemist... And I was probably playing FF at that time... Lol.

Anyway, I came across this title again a couple of months ago and it has been in my to-read list since.  I can understand why this book has been such a success. It's simple, yet inspirational. Many quotable passages, and prompts you to think. The book touches on many themes. The themes that I liked were living in the present, and having the courage to go after your dream/destiny/Personal Legend.

I like the idea that everyone has their own Personal Legend to fulfil but many along the way will end up not fulfilling because... of the many reasons why you don't end up getting your shit together. But if you do decide to go all out to fulfil this Personal Legend of yours, the world will conspire in helping you achieve it. That idea gives you hope. And we all need a little bit of hope don't we.

The book also talk about reading 'signs' and listening to your heart. I think, this book is a sign telling me that I need to take time out, and listen to what my heart is telling me...

Something to ponder on for a bit...

No comments: